Burn Ban For Lyle Fire district is OFF as of Oct 2nd 2023!


Please refer to the information below on rules and regulations.

The general county wide burn ban dates are June 1 – Oct 15.  Lyle traditionally follows these dates but, these dates can and do change.  The best practice is to contact your local fire department – (509) 365-2500 or chief@lylefire.com

Check with the Department of Ecology (Ecology) for burn permits and regulations: (509) 575-2490, ask for the Smoke Team Member on duty, M-F 8AM-5PM.  Department of Ecology Air Quality

Outdoor Burning Regulations

Outdoor burning information according to the Washington State Clean Air Act (RCW 70.94 and WAC 173-425, Outdoor Burning).  “Outdoor burning means the combustion of material of any type in an open fire or in an outdoor container without providing for the control of combustion or the control of emission from the combustion.”  Ecology regulates all types of outdoor burning (residential, agricultural, special and land clearing) except silvicultural (forest land) burning which is regulated by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources.  It is only legal to burn natural vegetation, but burning should be considered as a last resort as there are alternatives to burning which you should consider, like chipping.  Things you should know before you conduct outdoor burning:

  • When and where burning is allowed, only unprocessed natural vegetation may be burned.
  • Burn barrels are illegal and you could be fined!
  • Where residential burning is allowed, the burn pile must be less than 10’x10’x3′ and you may burn only one pile at a time
  • Contacting your local fire department or the non-emergency number for Klickitat County Sheriff’s Office.
  • A water source is needed
  • Your smoke must not impact your neighbor and you must put out your fire if it does.
  • The fire should not include materials hauled from another property.
  • Do not leave your fire unattended.
  • It is illegal to burn construction and demolition debris.

For further Information refer to the WA Department of Ecology’s Air Quality Webpage.


Fireworks are regulated by the Washington State Fire Marshal through the Washington State Patrol.  In the case of Klickitat County, an additional ordinance was developed to limit the discharge of fireworks.  For a general understanding:

  • Fireworks can only be discharged:
    • July 4th from 9am-11pm
    • December 31st from 6pm – 1am on January 1st

As with any fire, you may be responsible for the costs of a fire if you are found at fault.

For more information on the regulations refer to: RCW 70.77


Protecting Your Property

For information on how to protect your home and property during this wildland fire season please refer to FireWise.

Protecting Your Property Maintain a Survivable Space - "Things You Can Do Today"

Ways to Prepare your Property

    • Clean roof surfaces and gutters of pine needs, leaves, branches, etc., regularly to avoid accumulation of flammable materials.
    • Remove portions of any tree extending within 10 feet of the flue opening of any stove or chimney.
    • Maintain a screen constructed of non-flammable material over the flue opening of every chimney or stovepipe. Mesh openings of the screen should not exceed 1/2 inch.
    • Landscape vegetation should be spaced so that fire can not be carried to the structure or surrounding vegetation.
    • Remove branches from trees to height of 15 feet.
    • A fuel break should be maintained around all structures.
    • Dispose of stove or fireplace ashes and charcoal briquettes only after soaking them in a metal pail of water.
    • Store gasoline in an approved safety can away from occupied buildings.
    • Propane tanks should be far enough away from buildings for valves to be shut off in case of fire. Keep area clear of flammable vegetation.
    • All combustibles such as firewood, picnic tables, boats, etc. should be kept away from structures.
    • Garden hose should be connected to outlet.
    • Addressing should be indicated at all intersections and on structures.
    • All roads and driveways should be at least 16 feet in width.
    • Have fire tools handy such as: ladder long enough to reach the roof, shovel, rake and bucket for water.
    • Each home should have at least two different entrance and exit routes.
    • Here is some information if you live in the Scenic Area.

If there is information that you are looking for and don’t see it, somebody else is probably having a similar issue.  Please email:  chief@lylefire.com.

Address Sign

 How to obtain an address sign for Lyle residents


Comments are closed.